Software Engineer, Core Services
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, is a hard-working, fun-loving team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a unique product and thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers.
We are looking for a highly capable engineer to join our Core Services software development team and ensure that Ookla remains the global leader in internet testing. You should take pride in your ability to make meaningful contributions to complex software systems and work well in a team environment through collaboration on design, reviews and implementation. We are looking for someone with demonstrated knowledge and experience who enjoys mentoring and coaching others on the team as much as they enjoy building great software products.
You want to make a better Internet for everyone. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, build, and improve components of a high volume distributed software system and data pipeline
- Collaborate with other teams and job functions to deliver solutions that meet customer expectations and business objectives
- Mentor team members as they grow in areas where you are already competent
- 5+ years of software development experience
- BS in Computer Science or related degree and/or equivalent work history
- Experience designing and developing scalable web services (NodeJS, Go, Java, or similar)
- Working knowledge of large-scale data tier building blocks (SQL DB fundamentals, NoSQL data stores, cache layers, queues/message brokers)
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals (IP, TCP, UDP, HTTP, TLS, WebSocket)
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (source control, branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic
- Experience with fault-tolerant distributed systems, best practices, design patterns, etc...
- Experience with cloud deployment using AWS or similar
- Background in big data design and technologies (Kafka/Kinesis, Redshift, Airflow, Spark, MapReduce concepts)
- Familiarity with web service operations and best practices (containerization, load balancing, monitoring, logging and metrics, etc…)
- Contribution to open source projects
- GIS or map-related data visualization experience
Ookla has great benefits including competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, a generous vacation and holiday plan, stand out maternity/paternity leave and more. We also provide the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work.