Site Reliability Engineer, Seattle
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, is a hard-working, fun-loving team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a unique product and thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps - even on embedded routers!
With an ever-growing user base and product stack, we are looking for a highly capable Site Reliability Engineer who is excited by the idea of optimizing, securing, and accelerating distributed systems. You will be responsible for working with our team to develop and maintain the tools, orchestration engines, and technologies to power and monitor our global stack.
Internet speed matters to you. Your interest in network performance, data management, and highly available system architecture runs deep. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance on a daily basis, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.
- Maintain a distributed, global ecosystem of thousands of cloud, virtual, and physical servers running Linux, BSD and others, all supporting billions of requests daily.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure through reusable code and tooling.
- Use metrics and monitoring systems to ensure performance, scalability, and stability.
- Maintain high transaction volume Percona MySQL, Memcached, Redis, Amazon RDS, ElasticSearch, and other database technologies.
- Support production systems in a global 24x7x365 environment, including on-call responsibilities.
- Evaluate, develop, and implement internal tools and systems to help our team succeed.
- A proven track record of building infrastructure automation.
- A deep and detailed understanding of the Linux operating system, at both a high- and low-level.
- Strong understanding of the OSI model.
- Understanding of security best practices.
- Experience with AWS or another Cloud infrastructure platform.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Chef/Ansible/Salt etc.) and/or container based architectures (Docker/Kubernetes/Mesos/PAASTA/Marathon etc.).
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- You've built highly available systems at scale.
- Capacity planning for large, multi-tier web systems.
- SQL - ability to write queries and analyze their bottlenecks.
- You’ve made contributions to Open Source projects.
Ookla has great benefits including competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, a generous vacation and holiday plan, stand out maternity/paternity leave and more. We also provide the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work.
This role will be based out of our downtown Seattle office and will require a regular presence in the office. We provide excellent workplace flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow.