Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, is a small team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a thriving business and gained an invaluable insight into the state of the internet on a truly global scale.
We’re looking for a data engineer to join the Ookla data engineering team and help us process the world’s best collection of data on mobile and fixed internet performance. As a data engineer you will be focused on developing tools, libraries and operations to support data scientists and analysts as they discover new and exciting ways to apply our data. Applicants should have a strong, data-focused programming background and be passionate about accuracy and performance. You will work on big data using the latest technologies.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop high volume data processing jobs across various platforms including Redshift, Athena, Airflow and Spark
- Work closely with Data Scientists to turn theory and methodology into viable products
- Identify bottlenecks in system performance and make recommendations on improving process efficiency
- Support and collaborate with data scientists, analysts, and product managers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of programming concepts with experience in modern programming languages
- Experience with high volume data processing in Spark
- Experience working with large unstructured datasets
- Strong working knowledge of SQL and familiarity with databases (MySQL / Redshift / NoSQL )
- Excellent troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Comfort learning and working with new technologies in an ever changing environment
- Strong communication skills both in person and via virtual mediums
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic
Ookla has great benefits including competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, a generous vacation and holiday plan, stand out maternity/paternity leave and more. We also provide the best hardware, software and tools, and provide excellent workplace flexibility for telecommuting, etc.