Android Software Engineer
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, is a hard-working, fun-loving team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a unique product and thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps - even on embedded routers!
We are looking for a highly capable software engineer to join our Android team. You will be responsible for building features that deliver meaningful and accurate results conveyed with a cutting edge user experience.
You have built and published an Android app. You know when to use an AsyncTask and when to reach for another option. You meditate on scope and lifecycle design decisions and thought “finally” when you Google announced Android Architecture Components. You want to make a better Internet for everyone. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.s.
- Develop and maintain features of our Android applications on a variety of form factors (phones, tablets, TVs). This includes design, implementation, testing, documentation, deployment, develop support and maintenance.
- Solve for reliability, scale and flexibility, all the while implementing a visually rich and slick user experience.
- Integrate analytics to ensure optimal performance of deployed code.
- Collaborate on architecture, technology choices, and interactions with other core components such as shared libraries, backend APIs or our distributed server network
- 3+ years of professional Android application development experience.
- Expertise in Java with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Success creating custom Views to support complex user interfaces.
- Experience with reactive programming (RxJava/RxAndroid).
- Solid understanding of multi-threading and concurrency, including Java threading primitives, java.util.concurrent, Looper, Handler, AsyncTask, Schedulers, etc
- Experience writing unit, integration, and user interface tests.
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices.
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- Experience with C++ or JNI.
- Experience with iOS development or React Native.
- Contributed to Open Source projects.
Ookla has great benefits including competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, a generous vacation and holiday plan, stand out maternity/paternity leave and more. We also provide the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work.