Lead IT Support Engineer
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, is a hard-working, fun-loving team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a unique product and thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop, and mobile apps - even on embedded routers!
We are obsessed with performance - after all, we test the fastest networks in the world! We’re looking for an engineer who wants to own IT systems & processes for our Seattle HQ while also supporting our global offices and remote staff. Regardless of location, you will ensure our rapidly growing team always has the best tools available and is well supported. Security is the first thing you focus on when designing a new network or process, and you constantly stay on the frontline of new advancements in the field. You are also comfortable communicating with and supporting a globally distributed team and growing strong relationships in-person and over virtual mediums.
- Maintain and improve our modern, cloud based (e.g. G Suite, Slack, VoIP) IT stack
- Manage our office network(s), provisioning and lifecycling equipment, automating deployments of patches and security updates, etc
- Maintain the security of our network and end user machines with antivirus software, full disk encryption, firewalls, WAFs, and other tools
- Provide guidance and oversight to remote IT engineers in remote offices
- Support the technology needs of our global staff including OSX, Linux, and Windows workstations as well as BYOD iOS and Android devices
- Work closely with our engineering team to align IT strategy with production systems
- Build and maintain test lab equipment for our software & test engineering teams
- Strong networking fundamentals, experience with scaling high performance Ethernet, Wifi networks, and VPNs
- Focus on implementing infosec best practices
- Experience scripting and automating IT workflows (bash, powershell, python, ruby, etc.)
- Experience with IT systems management/orchestration tools
- A self starter attitude and a constant desire to learn and improve
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic
- Interpersonal skills - we are a close knit team at Ookla, and you will work with all team members
- Comfort managing vendor relationships, contracts, and budgets
- Most importantly, you must ensure 100% uptime for the office Sonos network
- Mentoring or team leadership experience
- Technical certifications (CCENT, Network+, etc.)
- Experience with leading cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, or Microsoft Azure.
Ookla has great benefits including competitive compensation, medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family, a generous vacation and holiday plan, stand out maternity/paternity leave and more. We also provide the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work.